Lina's Reflection

1. Why did you choose the concepts you did to create your problem set?

We originally chose our concepts by basing them around which gave us the most problems previously. We also wanted to span our questions to more than one or two units. So we chose a type of question which was perhaps challenging, but had to know well enough to be able to explain it to another individual. Having included a little story in it, our questions had to have a certain flow in order to follow the plot line in the story. However, I don't think that took away from our question. If anything, we tried to revolve the story around the types of questions that we wanted to do. We definitely didn't follow our original outline, but we were still able to base our project off the types of questions we found previously challenging and now have a better understanding of.


2. How do these problems provide an overview of your best mathematical understanding of what you have learned so far?

I think that having to be able to explain how to fully do a question reflects our mathematical understanding of what we've learned so far. I am horrible at explaining things especially mathematical concepts. Let me tell you that math is definitely not my favourite subject.

The problems that we chose for our project were from units that we found challenging. That was the number one reason why we chose our questions. We spent a lot of time not only writing and answering the question, but making sure it was presentable. I think they way that we have presented our problems and the way we explained them gives and overview of our understanding. If we did our problem correctly we can say, yes I understand this problem. If we made some errors, we can always go back and see where we went wrong. We can always work on it. Being able to write and answer theses question and also explain them ourselves definitely gives others an insight on our own abilities.



3. Did you learn anything from this assignment? Was it educationally valuable to you?

Personally I've learned such things like I need to have better time management and how much drive you need to have to complete this kind of project. There were times where we wanted to give up, but having finished the project in the end is really accomplishing.

Quite honestly, I don't feel that it was educationally valuable to me. It was even a little burdensome at times.

So in all truth when they decided that we should split up the questions, I got the questions which I didn't find too challenging. Honestly I think the two units I worked on by myself were the ones I could understand most out of all of them. So in terms of having to explain it to another individual, I think I did alright. The questions that the others had to do were probably the ones I found challenging, but since they decided to split up the questions, I didn't have the opportunity to explore those questions as I would have liked. Although we did check over each other's work, it's not the same as being able to do it yourself because those questions would reflect your group mate's abilities and not your own. Working in a group does relieve you of some of the burden though.

I think if I did all the exercises from the book and reviewed them, I would have done just as well to prepare for the exam, but I guess the point of the project was to show a better understanding than we had previously because we wouldn't get another test on each unit. It wasn't valuable to me although I could probably become a poker shark and do well in the probability unit (hopefully).

No comments: